Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Confession of a 4-Track Mind

In the beginning I was just a musician. Then I learned to produce. I started to assemble tracks, do sound collages, deconstruct rhythms, and that became my priority. I am a record producer who admires the harmodelics of Ornette Coleman, hearts the voices of Nina Simone, Sinead O’Connor, Sia Furler, and Yukimi Nagano, and have been known to listen to John Coltrane’s Live in Japan (yes, that one) at maximum volume, and Rosanne Cash’s “Blue Moon with Heartache” (the song) thirty times in a row; a dub fiend who grew up on Lee Perry and Augustus Pablo, and the mind-blowing sonorities of King Tubby and Scientist, but regularly listens to Charles Mingus, Prince, Debussy, Miles Davis, Bartok, Bach, Joni Mitchell, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, and Duke Ellington. I love Massive Attack, Portishead, Radiohead; the productions of Q-Tip, Madlib, and the late J-Dilla. I am inspired by the paintings of Egon Shiele and Cy Twombly, the visual geography of Japanese filmmakers, Akira Kurosawa and Mikio Naruse, and the hushed stillness of Yasujiro Ozu, whose narrative ellipses say more outside of the frames than within, much like dub, wherein the silence is more deadly than the ‘riddim’ warfare. You get the picture, right? There are lots of cats out there pushing boundaries, who are bringing something fresh to the game, reshaping old practices to new, innovative and exciting forms.  Yard Movement is my ‘connect’: a place to join with others, who are engaged in creative activities.  It’s the soundtrack of my life’s stories and journeys, of the words, sounds, and images that come with that, and the lessons learnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment